Corned beef, a flavorful and adaptable meat, is commonly associated with traditional Irish dishes and deli sandwiches in the United cons. However, its culinary applications go far beyond these traditional dishes.
Whether you’re using a fresh cut or leftovers, corned beef can be the main ingredient in a variety of dishes spanning a wide range of cuisines and meal types.
In this article, we will check out how corned beef can be prepared, from hearty stews to breakfast scrambles, as well as some unexpected twists that will make you view this humble meat in a whole new light.
What Do You Cook With Corned Beef?
Corned beef is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes. Here are some popular ways to cook with corned beef:
1. Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Ingredients: Corned beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes
- Method: Boil the corned beef with spices until tender, then add vegetables like cabbage, carrots, and potatoes to the pot. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
2. Corned Beef Hash
- Ingredients: Corned beef, potatoes, onions, and spices
- Method: Dice the corned beef and potatoes, then sauté them with onions and spices until crispy and golden.
3. Reuben Sandwich
- Ingredients: Corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and rye bread
- Method: Layer slices of corned beef, Swiss cheese, & sauerkraut between two slices of rye bread. Grill it until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
4. Corned Beef Tacos
- Ingredients: Corned beef, tortillas, and your choice of taco toppings like lettuce, cheese, and salsa
- Method: Shred the cooked corned beef and serve it in tortillas with your loved one taco toppings.
5. Corned Beef and Potato Casserole
- Ingredients: Corned beef, potatoes, cheese, and a creamy sauce
- Method: Layer slices or chunks of corned beef with sliced potatoes and a creamy sauce, then bake until bubbly. Top with cheese and bake until melted.
6. Corned Beef Fried Rice
- Ingredients: Corned beef, cooked rice, vegetables like peas and carrots, and soy sauce
- Method: Sauté diced corned beef with vegetables, then add cooked rice and soy sauce. Stir-fry until well combined.
7. Corned Beef Stew
- Ingredients: Corned beef, vegetables like carrots, potatoes, and onions, and beef or vegetable broth
- Method: Cut corned beef into chunks and simmer with vegetables and broth until tender.
8. Corned Beef and Pasta
- Ingredients: Corned beef, pasta like penne or fettuccine, and a creamy sauce
- Method: Cook pasta according to package instructions. In a separate pan, prepare a creamy sauce and add chunks or slices of corned beef. Combine with the cooked pasta.
9. Corned Beef Breakfast Skillet
- Ingredients: Corned beef, eggs, potatoes, and cheese
- Method: Sauté diced corned beef and potatoes, then make wells in the mixture to crack eggs into. Cover & cook until the eggs are done to your liking. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
10. Corned Beef and Bean Soup
- Ingredients: Corned beef, beans like navy or kidney, vegetables like carrots and celery, and broth
- Method: Simmer chunks of corned beef with beans, vegetables, and broth until everything is tender and flavorful.
11. Corned Beef Pizza
- Ingredients: Corned beef, pizza dough, cheese, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing
- Method: Spread a thin layer of Thousand Island dressing on the pizza dough, then add shredded corned beef, sauerkraut, and cheese. Bake until the crust is golden & the cheese is melted.
12. Corned Beef Quesadillas
- Ingredients: Corned beef, flour tortillas, cheese, and optional toppings like jalapeños or sour cream
- Method: Place shredded corned beef and cheese between two flour tortillas and cook on a griddle until the tortillas are crispy & the cheese is melted. Serve with optional toppings like jalapeños or sour cream.
13. Corned Beef and Cabbage Rolls
- Ingredients: Corned beef, cabbage leaves, rice, and a tomato-based sauce
- Method: Mix cooked rice and shredded corned beef, then roll the mixture in boiled cabbage leaves. Place the rolls in a baking dish, cover them with a tomato-based sauce, and bake until heated through.
14. Corned Beef and Potato Salad
- Ingredients: Corned beef, boiled potatoes, mayonnaise, mustard, and vegetables like celery and onions
- Method: Dice cooked corned beef and boiled potatoes, then mix with mayonnaise, mustard, and diced vegetables. Chill before serving.
15. Corned Beef and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Ingredients: Corned beef, assorted vegetables like bell peppers and broccoli, and stir-fry sauce
- Method: Stir-fry sliced corned beef and vegetables in a hot pan, then add your favorite stir-fry sauce and cook until everything is well-coated and heated through.
This was all about what do you cook with corned beef. It’s not just for St. Patrick’s Day or Reuben sandwiches; corned beef is a versatile ingredient that adds complexity and flavor to a variety of dishes. Corned beef is a hearty and gratifying ingredient that can enhance your culinary creations, whether you use it in casseroles, soups, or even breakfast dishes.
Therefore, the next time you have freshly cooked or leftover corned beef, consider it an opportunity to experiment and expand your cooking repertoire.
Read more: How Do You Cook A New York Roast?